The core of Rosie Riveters’ programs is a project-based, after-school curriculum for girls aged 4-14 (grades pre-K-8) that is open to the public and is completely free of charge. Each of the twelve sessions of our 4-week program features:
- an interactive overview of a STEM concept (density, circuits, chemical reactions, etc.);
- a tangible and hands-on project that explores that concept;
- exploration of real-world careers associated with the above project through interaction with mentors.
Spring 2018 Saturday Program
We are delighted to announce that thanks to a generous grant from Boeing we'll be offering our fantastic programing for girls in STEM again this Spring!
Registration is now OPEN. Please note that with over 170 children on our waitlist from previous programs, we have provided them with a 48-hour priority registration period. As of right now all spots have been filled. If you are unable to secure a spot we highly encourage you to sign up for the waitlist as there are always fluctuations in attendance prior to the start of a program.
This spring's program takes place on one Saturday a month for four months. You must commit to attending all four sessions (see dates below) to register for the program. The curriculum for this Saturday program is a repeat of Fall 2016 (10/24/16-11/17/16). If your child attended the Fall 2016 program at Westover, Cherrydale, or Central Library, they should not register for this four-month Saturday program.
Kindergarten-1st Grade- Westover Branch Library
- March 3 - 10:30am-11:30am - The chemistry of color
- April 7 - 10:30am-11:30am - Learn to speak computer
- May 5 - 10:30am-11:30am - It's Electric!
- June 2 - 10:30am-11:30am - Growing plants in space
2nd-5th Grade- Shirlington Branch Library
- February 10 - 2pm-4pm - This device is battery operated
- March 10 - 2pm-4pm - Tune into your frequency
- April 14 - 2pm-4pm - Learn to speak computer
- May 12 - 2pm-4pm - Growing plants in space
6th-8th Grade- Central Branch Library
- February 17 - 10:30am-12:30pm - This device is battery operated
- March 17 - 10:30am-12:30pm - Tune into your frequency
- April 21 - 10:30am-12:30pm - Code your world!
- May 19 - 10:30am-12:30pm - Nice Genes!
Support and Volunteers sponsored in part by:
Interested in sponsoring a Rosie Riveters Project?
Since our pilot program in February 2016, Rosie Riveters has served over 250 children in Northern Virginia. We are constantly seeking new opportunities to provide girls with the confidence to try and succeed in STEM. If you are interested in bringing a Rosie Riveters program to your community please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
As a small non-profit, our programs are funded on a project-by-project basis. It takes $6,920 to cover the costs of supplies, teachers, and programming logistics for each 4-week program that we offer, which means that on average, each Rosie Riveters project that a participant completes costs approximately $50 to deliver.
Support Rosie Riveters by making a donation of $25, $50, $100, $250 or $500 here: https://rosieriveters.nationbuilder.com/donate.
- 4-6, 7-10 and 11-14 year-old Winter 2016 Program (February 21- March 17, 2016) - Arlington County Libraries (Shirlington Branch)*
- 4-6, 7-10 and 11-14 year-old Fall 2016 Program(October 24th-November 17, 2016) - Arlington County Libraries (Central, Cherrydale and Westover Branches)*
- 4-6, 7-10 and 11-14 year-old Winter 2017 Program (February 27- March 23, 2017) - Arlington County Libraries (Central, Columbia Pike and Westover Branches)*
- 4-6, 7-10 and 11-14 year-old Fall 2017 Program(September 18- October 12, 2017) - Arlington County Libraries (Aurora Hills, Columbia Pike and Westover Branches)**
- 4-6, 7-10 and 11-14 year-old Waitlist Program (Saturday July, 14,2016) - Arlington County Libraries (Shirlington Branch)
- 4-6, 7-10 and 11-14 year-old Saturday program (Saturday, July 9, 2016) - Arlington County Libraries (Central Branch)
- Winter 2016 4-6, 7-10 and 11-14 Reunions (Saturday May 14, 2016) - Arlington County Libraries (Shirlington Branch)
- Microsoft Technology Center 6-14 year-old Reunion (Friday, July 22, 2016)- Microsoft Technology Center (Reston, VA)
- Microsoft Minecraft Hour of Code & Q/A w/ the Minecraft Team (Monday, December 5, 2016) - Microsoft Store (Pentagon City)
- QualComm Thinkabit Lab 7-14 year-old Reunion (Saturday January 21,2017) - QualComm Thinkabit Lab (Virginia Tech)
- 4-6 year-old Reunion (Saturday, January 28, 2017) - Arlington County Libraries (Central Branch)
- 4-6 year-old Reunion (Saturday, July 15, 2017) - Arlington County Libraries (Central Branch)
- Microsoft Technology Center 6-14 year-old Reunion (Tuesday, August 1, 2016)- Microsoft Technology Center (Reston, VA)
- Willston Computer Clubhouse 5th and 6th Grade Program (Monday, July 24, 2017)- Fairfax County Community Center (Falls Church, VA)
- Willston Computer Clubhouse 3rd and 4th Grade Program (Monday, July 31, 2017)- Fairfax County Community Center (Falls Church, VA)
- Southgate Community Center Pre-K-1st Grade year-old Program (Thursday, August 10, 2017)- Fairfax County Community Center (Reston, VA)
- Chantilly Neighborhood CLCP 6th-8th Grade Program (Tuesday, August 15,2017- Fairfax County Community Center (Chantilly,VA)
- Mott Computer Clubhouse 1st and 2nd Grade Program (Monday, August 21, 2017)- Fairfax County Community Center (Fairfax, VA)