The core of Rosie Riveters’ programs is a project-based, after-school curriculum for girls aged 4-14 (grades pre-K-8) that is open to the public and is completely free of charge. Each of the twelve sessions of our 4-week program features:
- an interactive overview of a STEM concept (density, circuits, chemical reactions, etc.);
- a tangible and hands-on project that explores that concept;
- exploration of real-world careers associated with the above project through interaction with mentors.
Interested in sponsoring a Rosie Riveters Project?
Since our pilot program in February 2016, Rosie Riveters has served over 250 children in Northern Virginia. We are constantly seeking new opportunities to provide girls with the confidence to try and succeed in STEM. If you are interested in bringing a Rosie Riveters program to your community please email: email@example.com.
As a small non-profit, our programs are funded on a project-by-project basis. It takes $6,920 to cover the costs of supplies, teachers, and programming logistics for each 4-week program that we offer, which means that on average, each Rosie Riveters project that a participant completes costs approximately $50 to deliver.
Support Rosie Riveters by making a donation of $25, $50, $100, $250 or $500 here: https://rosieriveters.nationbuilder.com/donate.
Spring 2018 Saturday Program
We are delighted to announce that thanks to a generous grant from Boeing we'll be offering our fantastic programing for girls in STEM again this Spring!
Registration is now OPEN. Please note that with over 170 children on our waitlist from previous programs, we have provided them with a 48-hour priority registration period. As of right now all spots have been filled. If you are unable to secure a spot we highly encourage you to sign up for the waitlist as there are always fluctuations in attendance prior to the start of a program.
This spring's program takes place on one Saturday a month for four months. You must commit to attending all four sessions (see dates below) to register for the program. The curriculum for this Saturday program is a repeat of Fall 2016 (10/24/16-11/17/16). If your child attended the Fall 2016 program at Westover, Cherrydale, or Central Library, they should not register for this four-month Saturday program.
Kindergarten-1st Grade- Westover Branch Library
- March 3 - 10:30am-11:30am - The chemistry of color
- April 7 - 10:30am-11:30am - Learn to speak computer
- May 5 - 10:30am-11:30am - It's Electric!
- June 2 - 10:30am-11:30am - Growing plants in space
2nd-5th Grade- Shirlington Branch Library
- March 10 - 2pm-4pm - This device is battery operated
- April 14 - 2pm-4pm -Tune into your frequency
- May 12 - 2pm-4pm - Learn to speak computer
- June 9- 2pm-4pm- Growing plants in space
6th-8th Grade- Central Branch Library
- February 17 - 10:30am-12:30pm - This device is battery operated
- March 17 - 10:30am-12:30pm - Tune into your frequency
- April 21 - 10:30am-12:30pm - Nice Genes!
- May 19 - 10:30am-12:30pm - Code your world!
Pre-K Quarterly Saturday Program
This quarterly program was designed exclusively to provide our littlest participants with the space, time, and attention they need to explore and discover the exciting world of STEM.
If you are unable to secure a spot we highly encourage you to sign up for the waitlist as there are always fluctuations in attendance prior to the start of a program.
Pre-K Program- Central Branch Library
- March 17- 2pm-3pm